STORY: Somalia launches first ever-cleft lip and palate surgery clinic
SOURCE: AMISOM PUBLIC INFORMATION
RESTRICTIONS: This media asset is free for editorial broadcast, print, online and radio use. It is not to be sold on and is restricted for other purposes. All enquiries to email@example.com
CREDIT REQUIRED: AMISOM PUBLIC INFORMATION
DATELINE: 3/11/2016, MOGADISHU, SOMALIA
1. Wide shot of AMISOM hospital compound.
2. Medium shot of Ambulance
3. Long shot of admission wards
4. Medium shot of the admission exercise.
5. Medium close up of admission exercise.
6. Close up shot of a cleft lip young girl.
7. Medium shot of Dr. Kiyengo and nurse checking on a recovering patient.
8. Medium close up of nurse checking patient’s wound.
9. Close up of recovering patient.
10. Medium shot of an admitted patient on bed.
11. Tight close up of patient’s face.
12. Close up of patient’s face.
13. SOUNDBITE (SOMALI): – SHEIKH AWEYS MOHAMED – CLEFT LIP PATIENT
“I heard from a friend that AMISOM hospital was conducting cleft lip operation. He told me that opportunity knocks once and I had to take it seriously I shared the news with my parents. They appreciated and agreed with my uncle to escort me to the AMISOM hospital. He signed the consent forms for the surgery; and here I am waiting to be operated on.”
14. Medium close up of patient on bed.
15. Tight close up of a cannula on the hand.
16. SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH): DOCTOR COLONEL JAMES KIYENGO – AMISOM SURGEON.
“Cleft lip and palate entails two or three operations. It includes also a speech therapist, psychologist, dentists and odontologist who correct the deformed teeth. So you find that it (costs) adds up to something like US$1,000. That’s unaffordable. But apart from the unaffordability, the availability of plastic surgeons in Mogadishu is not something easy to come by at the moment. The availability of the technology, technical personnel to carry out such surgeries and the facilities are unthinkable because the hospitals and resources are few.”
17. Medium shot of a UPDF doctor examining a patient.
18. Tight close up of a lady patient talking.
19. Medium shot of a doctor taking a picture of the patient’s mouth
20. Tight close up of a doctor taking a picture of the patient’s mouth.
21. Close up shot of baby with a cleft lip
22. SOUNDBITE (SOMALI): KHADIJA HASSAN NOOR – PATIENT
“I would like my daughter to undergo the operation, but my concern is that I may be required to stay with her here for some time and may be unable to provide for my family and children back home, as my husband does not have a job,”
23. Medium shot of a lady and her sick child seated in the ward.
24. Close up of a baby with cleft lip.
25. Close up of a mother with a cleft lip.
26. SOUNDBITE (SOMALI): FATUMAH OSMAN YUSUF – PATIENT
“We heard about the cleft lip operations from a family member, who brought us here today.”
27. Medium close up of a baby on the surgical table in the operation room.
28. Close up of Surgical blades and other equipment.
29. Medium shot of doctors preparing a baby for an operation
30. SOUNDBITE (ENGLISH): DOCTOR COL. JAMES KIYENGO – AMISOM SURGEON.
“ It has been noticed that some patients have a genetic background of the condition. For instance we have here a mother and child who also has a cleft lip. We also have another mother who has bilateral cleft lip and the child, also the same.”
31. Medium close up of a team of AMISOM doctors performing an operation.
32. Close up shot of an operation procedure.